Friday, May 18, 2007

CULTURAL COMPETENCE

First things first:

Acknowledge your
Incompetence
when it comes to your
feeble attempts at understanding
Blackbrownredyellowother people

While you hold tight to your
Clint-Eastwood-make-my-own-rules-individualism
We understand
the law of community
and that
what’s good for the family is best

Your guilt of the past
will not lessen the burden of our distrust

Excuse me if I don’t stand for the Pledge

Colin Ferguson was crazy…
but I understand why his insanity
grew into violence

And when you say,
“Why can’t we all just be americans?”
I know that you want us to just act like
we are all the same
(white)
and forget about the past
So that you never have to feel
responsible
for what you created

…and now we have
Cultural Competency Training
“let’s all sit down and dialog about
our differences”
but when I speak
I’m met with
stares
blinks
closed mouths & minds
you still can’t feel me

…why am I here?
when
YOU need the training

© 2007 swing first productions

No comments: