Friday, May 18, 2007

Daddy Why?


*inspired by questions my daughters have asked over the years*


Daddy why does the moon always shine so bright?
Daddy why does it only come out in the night?
Daddy why do I have to go to school?
Daddy what is this thing called, “The Golden Rule?
Daddy why do we have to pray every day?
Daddy why can’t I just go outside and play?
Daddy why is a rock not soft, but hard?
Daddy how come we don’t eat food made with lard?
Daddy why do my sisters always seem so mean?
Daddy why is a ‘feeling’ something I’ve never seen?
Daddy why can’t I eat dinner in front of the TV?
Daddy how long is a river and how deep is the sea?
Daddy what is gristle and what is bone?
Daddy how long will it take before I get grown?
Daddy what makes an airplane fly in the sky?
Daddy who shot my cousin and why did he die?
Daddy why do the whites say that they hate the blacks?
Daddy why does a sidewalk have so many cracks?
Daddy what do you mean by, “We must be free?”
Daddy if you go away who’ll take care of me?

Daddy I love it when you kiss my cheek,
So don’t get mad when I have to speak.

And ask all the questions I have in my mind,
‘cause you have the answers that I need to find.

When I start talking, don’t act so blue,
cause I’d be lost….
If it weren’t for you.


© 2004 swing first productions

No comments: