Friday, May 18, 2007

ODE TO MR. KELLY (9th grade his-story teacher)


Now tell me how this came to be
That YOU could teach MY history
That you knew how the pyramids were built
When you were in Europe wearing a kilt

You called my people primitive
And said your ancients knew how to live
Misinformed me that I had no past
That God chose you first and made me be last

Your story said we would always need
Then you hung us when we learned to read
You invented the Klan to keep us in line
Then took from me what you KNEW was mine

Convinced my children that we came from slaves
So who were the men that lived in the caves?
You taught me that Africa was an uncivilized land
This bold-faced lie had me not take a stand

Now it’s time to right the wrong
And all I get from you is a song
About how it’s racist to be pro-me
And learn the things you refuse to see

You say my research is not too tight
While you steal the truth like a thief in the night
Now you take my walk, my talk, my throne
Spin it around and call it your own

You refused to teach me knowledge of self
Stole my story to hide on a shelf
What was worse then that and not even the least
You moved Egypt from Africa into the Middle East

Mana Musa, Imhotep and Queen-Tiye
All of our ancestors helped lead the way
In February you allot us time to teach, see and hear
So how come it’s the shortest month in the year?

Now tell me how this came to be
That the ones who lied can now teach me

© 2004 swing first productions

No comments: