Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Where we are


That first time I saw you…
You were coming from the mailbox
with this little dress on
and legs so long
they went all the way
from your ass to the ground,
and white sandals.…
I noticed your
toe rings.
Sunlight and you,
a great combination.
Heat plus heat
made my
uh…body
start to warm.
Your smile said
it was ok to
speak.
So,
I mustered
the smoothest,
coldest line I could think of:
“Good morning.”
Your eyes caught the line
and your lips sang,
“Good morning”
right back at me.
Wordplay escaped me as
your confident stride
knocked me
off balance…for a second.
But I came back
like the strong cat I be:
“Thass ah nice dress
you got on.”
Your rhythm
was flawless
and your aim
precise as you played right back at me:
“Thank you.
I see it had the effect I wanted.”
Your smile never wavered as Iwatched you
glide
away…
Damn,
all that
and
game too!
Well…
That was some years ago,
and time has
s l o w l y
ripened us both
but,
I’m still
digging
the cool in you.
Like,this afternoon
when I called
to ask you if you could
fix me a sandwich
for lunch:
Hey baby, I’m hungry,
can you fix me something?”
Without missing a beat,
like Mongo Santamaria
your wordplay
massaged an
old player’s
game:
“Yeah, I can do that
for you, but…What can you do
for me?”
Shit!
All I want is
some lunch…but
Game recognizes Game:
“I only got an hour,
and
you know how I do.”
I forgot
I was dealing
with
a pro:
“Bring what you
got, daddy,
I can make it work.”
…some things
never change.
Thank God!!

No comments: